Delicate and soft blond sisters of brownies. Crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. Packed with fiber, healthy fats, and a variety of flavors. Lemon gives them a great, refreshing kick, coconut flour locks moisture inside and nuts and white chocolate provide a crispy sensation.
With this recipe, I got inspired by my new favorite book – Alternative Baker, an amazing source of gluten-free recipes. I played around with the recipe for a while to create something I would like to eat without regrets. Saying that the most significant modification was a big cut on the sugar added. I think there is still plenty of it while the structure and taste are not compromised. Ratios of other ingredients were altered to my taste as well so at the end I got a lovely piece of a delicate, flavorful piece of cake that is sweet-just enough. The best part – you’ll only need one saucepan and 20 minutes of your time to make those lovely blondies.
(10 pieces of small Blondies/ small baking pan)
60g Brown Sugar (fine, or Muscovado type)
30g Coconut Flour
60g White Rice Flour (or Sweet White Rice Flour)
100g Toasted Nuts (Cashews, Almonds, Walnuts…)
60g White Chocolate
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
Lemon Zest from 1 Lemon
Pinch of Salt
- In a small saucepan, slowly melt the butter on low heat. Bring it to simmer, add lemon zest, and cook for a minute so flavors can infuse together. Mix constantly to make sure that butter doesn’t burn. Let the mixture cool down for a minute.
- Add sugar and a couple drops of vanilla extract to warm, melted butter and mix properly until sugar is dissolved. Crack one whole egg inside and mix properly until well combined.
- Sift in coconut and rice flour, add baking powder and a pinch of salt and mix properly until incorporated.
- Stir in roughly chopped nuts and white chocolate. Spread the dough on a small baking pan lined with a parchment paper and bake for some 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean. Do not overbake – you don’t want to dry blondies out.
- Cool down for some 30 minutes, cut and enjoy.