This is an ultimate luscious and luxury cake great for any occasion. I have to admit that this cake does not belong to the category of simple and fast prepared recipes. I recommend to bake this cake when you have more time, you are not in a rush and when you want to prepare something exceptional.
This one I have baked the first time for my friend’s birthday and it was a big success. It looks pretty, tastes rich, it is not over-sweetened and it contains only the best quality ingredients. On top of that it’s gluten-free and thanks to buckwheat flour, nut’s and spices like cinnamon and cloves, very nutritious as well. Enjoy your time baking.
250g Butter, softened
150g Coconut Sugar
8 Eggs, room temperature
1 Tablespoon Orange Zest, grated
1 ½ Teaspoon Cinnamon
½ Teaspoon Cloves, ground
2 Cups Walnuts, chopped
300g Buckwheat Flour
1 Tablespoon Baking Soda
500ml Fresh Heavy Cream
100g Dark Chocolate
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
50g Coconut Sugar (optional)
100g Walnuts, crashed
- In a bowl of an electric mixer beat together butter (room temperature) and sugar until pale and creamy.
- Start adding egg yolks – one by one and beat well after each addition. Add cinnamon, ground cloves and rum.
- In a separate bowl mix together flour, salt, orange zest, and baking soda.
- Add flour mixture – bit by bit, into the butter & egg yolks mixture and mix properly. Transfer whole mixture into the new clean bowl.
- In a clean bowl of a standing mixer whisk together egg whites with a pinch of salt until creating firm peaks.
- Add one-third of egg whites into the flour mixture and fold carefully. Do the same with the rest of egg whites until all combined. Add crushed walnuts and mix again – do not overmix!
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Pour a batter into the round-shape mold greased with butter or baking paper. Bake approximately 40 – 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let it rest in a mold at least half an hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare a cream. In a bowl of a standing mixer beat together heavy cream and coconut sugar (if you decide to use it). Melt chocolate in a bowl placed on top of another bowl filled with water (double boiling method). When melted, let it cool for a minute and add it to the heavy cream and mix properly.
- With a long bread knife cut your cake twice thru creating 3 layers of dough. Brush first layer with a rum, spread some cherry puree on top (cook cherries in a pot with a bit of water, honey (optional) and AGAR-AGAR or gelatine until thick) and then spread a generous amount of cream. Top with another cake layer and repeat the rum – cherry – cream layer. Cover with the last cake layer.
- Spread remaining cream all around the cake (on sides as well). Decorate with crushed walnuts and let it rest overnight in a fridge. This way cake absorbs all the flavors and will taste even better. Enjoy with a cup of coffee or a glass of red wine.