Turmeric Latte is a perfect drink to sip on during the cold autumn days.
It is a great alternative to creamy coffee-based drinks. This Turmeric Latte can be made out of any kind of milk so it’s friendly for those with lactose intolerance. It’s super tasty, super easy to make and what is the most important – it is packed with healthiness.
Turmeric is traditionally considered to be an almost magical spice. It contains a component called curcumin – which gives a turmeric powder it’s specific yellow color and the wide range of health benefits. Curcumin is widely used in the pharmaceutical industry and medicine in a “western world” as well.
Nepali cuisine is using turmeric traditionally in most of the dishes but many people have never tried it in a combination with hot milk, nuts, and other spices.
Some of the most important health benefits of the turmeric (and curcumin) are:
- It’s anti-inflammatory (very good for people under constant stress and rush)
- It detoxifies the liver (best thing you can do after a wild night is to add a spoon of turmeric powder into your cup of tea)
- It cleans blood – curcumin helps with the creation of the new blood tissues and it thins the blood as well (be careful when combining with your medicine)
- It’s anti-bacterial and anti-allergic
Now, when we know why is drinking turmeric so important let’s make this super drink together. Here is my Spicy Turmeric Latte recipe packed with goodness. It heals both – body and soul.
1 Cup of Milk of any kind
(if you prefer a less creamy drink, use a half cup of water and half cup of milk)
5-6 Cashew Nuts or a teaspoon of cashew-nut butter
½ Spoon of Turmeric Powder
Pinch of Ginger Powder
Pinch of Cinnamon (another super spice)
Touch of Salt (upgrades the taste)
Touch of a Black Pepper
(turmeric increases it’s the effect if combined with a dash of black pepper)
Shot of Espresso (optional)
Teaspoon of Honey (optional)
- Pour milk into the blender with cashew nuts and all the spices (coffee-lovers can now add their espresso-shot).
- Mix it properly until the cashew nuts are fully dissolved.
- Pour the liquid into the pot and heat until boiling.
- Transfer liquid into the cup, sprinkle with some cinnamon and enjoy your cup of heaven
PS: this drink is naturally sweet because of the milk and cashew-nuts.
I do not recommend adding any more sweeteners. Still, if you have a sweet tooth you might go for a teaspoon of honey added to the drink. Remember – if you add honey into the hot drink it will lose all the vitamins and you will not benefit from the honey at all. That’s why it’s worth waiting a while and just after that add some honey.
Enjoy your drink,